Tuesday, September 28

Buttermilk coleslaw dressing........buttermilk anything actually





Here, finally, is the coleslaw recipe I have been raving about. It is creamy, but not overly rich, and makes a great alternative to mayonnaise. My sister make a wonderful Asian style dressing, with fish sauce and sesame oil, but I do like an old fashioned creamy dressing, without the clagginess of too much mayo. So I got playing around and this is what I came up with. I tried it out at one of my cooking classes a few weeks ago, and it went down a treat.....
Dressing


½ cup buttermilk
¼ cup mayonnaise ( I use Best Foods, but what ever kind you have is fine)
½ tsp lemon or lime juice
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp chilli powder, flakes or fresh chilli
¼ tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
2 tsp chopped fresh dill
¼ tsp caraway seeds-roughly crushed in a mortar & pestle


Mix all of the dressing ingredients together and taste for seasoning. Mix through the fresh coleslaw ingredients just before serving.

Dressing will keep for about a week in a jar in the fridge, it makes about ¾ cup.


For my coleslaw last night I used

About a quarter of a very finely chopped cabbage
1 peeled carrot
4 finely chopped spring onions
Handful of chopped coriander
Handful chopped dill
seasoning

I like herbs in my coleslaw, for freshness, and I love to add fennel and radish when I have it, but it is entirely up to you

The dressing may taste almost too "milky" on it's own, but when combined with the strong tastes of cabbage and onion it works really well. This salad also transports well, so would be great for a BBQ or pot luck dinner (are they still called pot luck dinners??)


We had our coleslaw (I really want to say 'slaw, but I just cant, there being no Southern BBQ or hush puppies anywhere in the vicinity....) with grilled eggplant, and a stuffed cheesy potato....I know, a bit of a retro moment, but I was tired, and we both felt like something plain but good!

I cant wait to try the Sour Cream and Cheddar biscuits over at Smitten Kitchen this week, how good do they look? I think I will try substituting buttermilk for the sour cream since I have some in the fridge....I love biscuits, when Mr PK & I were in Amercia a few years back, I discovered biscuits & sausage gravy, to the detriment of both my waistline and cholesterol levels. Soft fluffy biscuits (like scones really) smothered in a savoury gravy made with milk & bits of sausage. It was a heart attack waiting to happen but so good, I could not stop myself. I dare not try making the gravy at home, but the chili is a grand idea, so will give that a go instead......

4 comments:

  1. I wish I could buy buttermilk - so many lovely things including this recipe. I try and make it but I don't think it's the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally,

    I find that one cup milk with a tablespoon of lemon juice left for at least 10 minutes seems to do the job fine. But I use buttermilk a lot for baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good tip Stef, thanks:) Also natural yoghurt would work in the dressing recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is delicious! Thanks for reminding me about the buttermilk.I remember someone telling me it does wonders for coleslaw.I cant wait to try your recipe.I saw your blog from the foodie blog roll and I like what you have here.if you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say, please feel free to comment:)